Monday 11 August 2014

'Jungle Book' slip case

I love books.  I also love book illustration, and over the years have collected quite a few illustrated books.  These are often children's books, though not always, but they're beautiful objects whoever their intended audience.

I've made a few slip cases - a cover to protect a book that it can slide in and out of, rather than something attached to the book itself - for books for myself and others in the past, but I haven't made one in ages.  Time to change that!

I'm going to make a slip case for The Jungle Book, illustrated by one of my favourite illustration artists, Nicola Bayley. As usual for a slip case, I want something that reflects the book it's for, and in this case I'm basing the design on the cover art.

Here's the front of the book:



(it's a bit greener than that in reality)

And the back:



It's not all that big (about 20cm by 24cm, or 8" x 9.5"), so there's not really room to get a great deal of detail on.  As such, I've taken the building (temple? palace?) from the front and Mowgli sitting under a palm tree from the back, and added them together:



I don't know about you, but that says 'goldwork' to me!

3 comments:

  1. Khalysta from Versailles12 August 2014 at 16:21

    Yesss !! A new project !!
    Go on Ruth, make us dream !
    Lovely bat, by the way.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love your slipcases! This will be gorgeous! It's so nice to have something lovely for a real bound book.

    ReplyDelete
  3. oh yes, it definitely says 'goldwork'. Love the design.

    ReplyDelete