Thursday 13 November 2014

Acanthus leaf sample - completed

As this is just a sample piece I'm not making it up into anything, but I still want to finish it off nicely and put it on a background.  The first step towards that is to paint diluted PVA glue on the back:


It's still damp there so the colours look a little darker.

Once that had dried properly I then cut it out, which was a bit fiddly but OK:


I should say that the glue on the back is strong enough to hold the stitching together, but thin enough for the the embroidery to still be flexible; it's not at all stiff.

I then applied this to a cream silk satin background, then added a plain backing, just to cover the stitches and make it look neat:


Finished!

I like it - I'm pleased with how it's turned out.

3 comments:

  1. It's lovely. The shading so beautifully subtle.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hello Ruth
    That is very very nice. What do you plan to do with this lovely piece of art ?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nothing really - it's just a test piece to practice this new technique and see what the possibilities are.

    ReplyDelete